Cesarean section- (noun) a surgical procedure in which incisions are made through a mother's abdomen and uterus to deliver a baby

Elle Elizabeth Lawrence

Elle Elizabeth Lawrence
tummy time: three weeks old

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 47, Waging War on the Cold


Today I decided not to be helpless. This cold will not collapse the mothering confidence I've slowly secured over the past six weeks. I took decisive action; I waged war on the cold.

First, I recruited my husband to watch the baby. Then, I ran to Walgreens Pharmacy and purchased Vick's Warm Steam Vaporizer. I had no experience with this, but remember having one when I was a kid.

At eye level, below the shelf that held the vaporizers, Walgreens had conveniently placed infant cold medications. But I was reluctant to give anything to the baby, even OTC stuff. So instead, I picked up the "Little Noses" kit. It came with a newborn size aspirator and a small bottle of saline drops.

Once at home, I traded places with my hubby. He handed off the baby and began building the Vick's Vaporizer. I took Elle up to her nursery and decided her changing table would be the best place to administer the saline drops.

I placed one small drop in each nostril and suctioned the drop back out with the aspirator. It was completely uneffective. I didn't realize the purpose of the drops were to moisten any dry snot in the baby's nose. Elle's nose at the time was already quite moist (we live in Florida), so all it did was add to her stuffiness. Also, the little aspirator was almost too small. If left space in her nostril and the snot seemed to just slide around it. I went back to using the "old school" one I stole from the hospital. It was MUCH more effective (see picture).

I finished the suctioning procedure just before my husband finished putting the vaporizer together. I felt grateful he wasn't around to see my mini-failure with the saline drops. It's frustrating when my mothering skills fail, and worse if there is someone around to watch.

He walked into the nursery with the vaporizer filled with water and a few pinches of salt. His look was all business. It seemed he had waged war on the cold too. He plugged it in and closed the bedroom door. Within minutes the room felt wet. The air was moist and humid. Elle's wood dressers looked like they were sweating. I assumed the vaporizer was working because even my nose was starting to feel a little better.

Once TJ was satisfited with the functionality of the vaporizer he kissed Elle "goodnap" (it was was a little early for goodnight) and left me to rock her in the glider.

Elle fell asleep within a few watery minutes, but I continued to hold her and rock her. I hoped cuddling would help, it made me feel better anyway.

After about forty minutes of rocking, I put her down into her Fisher Price Glidder instead of the crib because it has a 60% incline. My thought was that the incline would not allow the snot to settle in her throat the way laying flat would.

Thankfully, the vaporizer worked. Elle slept soundly. My mothering confidence had been bruised, but now felt adequate again. And thankfully, my husband still thought I knew what I was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment