Cesarean section- (noun) a surgical procedure in which incisions are made through a mother's abdomen and uterus to deliver a baby

Elle Elizabeth Lawrence

Elle Elizabeth Lawrence
tummy time: three weeks old

Thursday, January 14, 2010

December 2, 2009, a C-Section is scheduled!


On December 2nd, I waddled into my recently renovated doctor's office. I say "waddled" to help you imagine me, thirty-eight weeks pregnant, 54 pounds heavier, with swollen legs and feet. If I could see past my stomach, I would have noticed my ankles were missing underneath a few pints of water that had accumulated down there.

During the checkup, my doctor had observed that Baby Elle's estimated weight was 8 pounds 8 ounces and felt that my formerly petite frame couldn't handle delivering a baby that could be anywhere from 7-9 pounds.

A c-section was scheduled for 9:00pm.

Saying I felt "disappointed" at first, would be a serious understatement. I had spent the last 9 and a half months convincing my husband I was strong enough to have a medication-free birth. I was so sure of myself I even skipped the chapter on epidurals in the childbirth book provided during labor and delivery class (more on that later).

But after a few minutes of contemplation, as I put on the delivery gown from the hospital, I realized, I'm going to meet my daughter today.

Nothing could dampen my mood after that.

1 comment:

  1. Just finished watching "The Business of Being Born" on Netflix. It was so interesting and you should watch it if you subscribe to Netflix. I never even thought to use a midwife to deliver my baby. I had a terrible experience being induced at the hospital and am pretty sure I want to avoid a hospital birth the next time around.

    ReplyDelete